Dental health tips for teens
- This is the ideal age for your dentist to check if the position of your teeth is correct and if treatment is necessary to create a more attractive appearance.
- Always use a fluoride toothpaste and brush your teeth at least twice a day. Fluoride strengthens
resistance to decay and encourages repair of the enamel damaged by the acid attack of the decay process.
- Use dental floss daily to remove harmful plaque from between your teeth. Regular brushing with a soft brush and flossing will prevent gum disease, which can lead to loss of teeth.
- To protect you against sporting injuries, have your dentist make you a custom-made mouthguard. These are much more effective and comfortable than mouthguards off-the-shelf.
- Ask your dentist how often you need a check-up. Measures to prevent dental disease include the
application of fluoride and/or the sealing of small pits in the enamel which are likely spots for decay.